Friday 11 May 2012

Casting a spell on you...

Evening all,

Today I thought I would cover the basics on how to begin/ cast on a section of knitting. My three favourite methods of casting on are- the thumb method (using one needle), long tail cast on (using one needle) or knitting cast on (which is with two needles).

  I am left handed, and initially found it difficult to learn the knitting cast on as my mum didn't know how to teach left handed knitting. So I went and visited my local wool shop every Thursday for about three weeks, where the kind lady spent about 2 hours teaching me casting on, casting off, knit (garter stitch) Knit row Purl Row (stocking stitch) and Knit 1 Purl 1 (Rib stitch) right handed for a leftie.
I found for most simple items, casting on using the thumb method is a lot easier for beginners, and for lefties like me, a lot less confusing!

Here is a great tutorial on how to cast on using the thumb method and long tail cast one (my personal favourite) as I know it-


Knitting cast on (2 needles) -


These three methods are are in my opinion a selection of the fastest and easiest methods with good results!

You can use these methods on most patterns unless stated otherwise.

My mum has just brought a new crocheting book that I will review later in the week. I'm going to give a couple of the patterns a go over the weekend.

So have fun casting on! - If you have any pictures of any projects you've made or attempts at casting on or any of the techniques in my blog posts email me at:
lauramariebennett@hotmail.co.uk
And I will put them up on future posts!

Have fun casting on!









No comments:

Post a Comment